Monday, May 3, 2010

iPad - not magical, but fun

Last week I had an excellent fortune to win a iPad, thanks to the good folks at VIATeC who recently launched their new website.  Also, big thank you to Russ and David for actually accepting it on my behalf and not appropriating it, since I was noticeably absent from the launch party where the iPad was drawn.

First impression of the iPad - a giant iPod Touch.  Literally.  I guess I was expecting some remnants of magic Mr. Jobs spoke of so eloquently, but sadly there was absolutely none to be found.  Once my disappointment had worn off, however, and I accepted this as just another toy, it started to grow on me slightly. 

Being an iPhone owner, avid user and frequent lover, I found the iPad interface to have zero magic - it's identical to the iPhone.  But I LOVE the big screen.  My articles are readable and fun to browse, my photos are much more vivid, the games are more palatable.   There is definitely excellent utility in having a larger screen on the same device, albeit not being able to hold it in one hand without feeling like you're about to drop it.

The biggest iPad success so far - my 20-month son can't get enough of it.  That's the magic!

1 comment:

  1. I was fortunate to try out your iPad and not being an iPhone user, I fell in love with the iPad immediately and need one NOW.....Hope my "second child" named Blackberry will approve like your son does!

    ReplyDelete